- What can we do as parents to slow our child’s myopia?
Environment factors play a crucial role on myopia onset and progression. You can follow different strategies:
- Spending at least 90 minutes per day outside. It is the brightness of natural sunlight which is beneficial rather than UV light so you should still take sun protection precautions.
- Taking regular breaks from close work. Looking away for a minute or so to change your focus or changing your task every 30-60 minutes to alter the demand on your visual system.
- Limiting near tasks (after school/work) to 2 hours per day. This also includes leisure time – ensure it is not primarily spent on handheld digital devices or other close vision tasks like reading and drawing.
- Ensuring a balance between inside and outside time at the weekend and increasing natural lighting.